Best Electric Blanket – Complete Reviews With Comparison
- Luxurious Siberian Goose Down Comforter Review - August 16, 2020
- Reverie 7S Adjustable Bed Review - June 19, 2020
- Some of the Best Mattress Topper Options Out There - June 18, 2020
Are you going to keep fretting over high heating bills with chattering teeth as your constant background noise, or are you going to do something about getting warm?
The great news is that you don’t need to touch the thermostat to feel toasty – all you need is a quality-made electric blanket.
Plug one in, choose a setting, and feel warmth returning to your freezing fingers.Which electric blanket should you get? I’ve assembled the 5 best electric blankets to warm either your bed or yourself with to make the choice easier.
Read their reviews, find out more about electric blankets in general, and start looking forward to a warm and cozy winter.
Best Electric Blanket Reviews
1. Shavel Thermee Electric Polyester Blanket
Keeping you warm during the night is an electric blanket’s top priority, but when that blanket also happens to look elegant and enhance your bedroom’s décor during the day, buying it makes even more sense. Shavel Home Products brings us a customizable, warm, and stylish quilted blanket you’ll love sleeping under or lazing on during the day.
The blanket features thin and unobtrusive wires that conduct heat evenly throughout. These are sandwiched between layers of micro flannel that are quilted to form a pleasing pattern and hemmed with luxurious satin. Since the fabric is evenly spaced to and confined to each individual quilt section, there’s no fear of it bunching up on one side and making the blanket thin on the other.There are 10 different heat settings to choose from so you can use it when it’s either slightly chilly or freezing cold. Its 16-foot extension cord should ensure that the blanket has access to power in any bedroom regardless of size, and dual controls mean that you can rotate it to either side and still be able to reach the controls comfortably. If the blanket’s warmth and coziness cause you to oversleep without turning it off, a 10-hour safety shutoff will prevent accidents and unwelcome power expenses.
- WARMTH & COMFORT: Luxuriously soft and warm with innovative 7 layers of quilted micro flannel comfort, this mid-weight electric blanket features elegant satin trim and sophisticated diamond stitch.
- UPDATED CONTROLLER: New for 2020, a redesigned large-number controller with automatic backlit shut-off after 40 seconds, thinner wires, 10 secure heat settings & programmable timer up to 12 hours plus quick heat & memory functions. Also includes 10-hour automatic safety shut-off & 17-foot cord.
- ANTI-SHRINK & ANTI-PILL: Designed to never fade, shrink, or pill, Micro Flannel fabric stays smooth, soft, and the right size. Bring Micro Flannel directly from the dryer to your bed with no hassle.
- MACHINE WASHABLE: Crafted from double-brushed, smooth, and wrinkle-free polyester, our electric blanket is constructed to wash and dry quickly, saving you time and energy - always a perfect fit and finish.
- YOUR BEDDING NEEDS: Discover the full line of Shavel Home Products including sheets, blankets, comforters, coverlets, throws, fitted quilts, electric blankets and mattress pads.
What’s to like about the Shavel Thermee Electric Polyester Blanket
The manufacturer created lots of colorful and patterned designs for their blanket so that it can seamlessly fit into any existing design. The polyester filling makes it very warm on its own, and the nuanced temperature controls give you great control over its heat output.
What’s not to like about the Shavel Thermee Electric Polyester Blanket
While the power cord is long enough, the same can’t be said for the control boxes’ cords. If you want to adjust something in the middle of the night, you’ll have to yank on the control box to get it closer to you. Speaking of nighttime use, the lights on the controls don’t stay on long enough to let you see exactly what you changed, forcing you to turn on a night light or get out of bed to actually be able to see what’s going on.
2. SoftHeat Electric Blanket
Using an electric blanket to keep warm sure beats leaving the thermostat on all night and racking up insane power bills. But what if there was a blanket that’s even more energy efficient? Ever striving to combine the luxuriousness of heated blankets with innovative power-saving options, SoftHeat has come up with a blanket both your cold toes and your electricity usage monitor will love.
The key to SoftHeat’s power-saving success lies within the blanket’s adapter. It takes your standard household input and turns it into a 25-volt direct current, the kind you’d find on more powerful batteries. This much-lower current is powerful enough to keep the blanket in business while lowering both the power bill and the chances that an overload will cause the blanket to catch on fire.Construction of the blanket is centered around a tight frame of evenly spaced wires which are then individually wrapped inside a layer of fabric in a way that forces most of the heat they emit down and onto your body, causing less of it to be wasted. Additional layers of polyester fiber are then added for comfort. Since the fabric retains heat beautifully and the wires are so thin, the blanket is surprisingly light given the warmth it puts out.
- INCLUDES: (1) Electric Heated Blanket
- MATERIALS: Made from 100% polyester ultra-soft micro-fleece with built in micro-thin wires for more even heat distribution without the bulkiness
- FEATURES: Patented Safe & Warm non-hazardous low voltage technology is safe in the presence of moisture, will not harm pets, and emits no EMFs. Our patented low voltage technology is the only electric mattress pad technology that is certified as non-hazardous. Single control automatically shuts off after 10 hours for convenience. Giant backlit display with auto dimming feature for night time adjustments with out having to turn on the lights
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Machine wash in warm water and tumble dry on low setting. Cord Length: 23 Feet
- DIMENSIONS: Twin blanket measures 62" x 84"
What’s to like about the SoftHeat Electric Blanket
The controls have a backlit screen which will gradually dim so you can adjust temperature settings during the night without turning additional lights on. Another cool thing about the controls is their pre-heat function – you can set the desired temperature and turn the blanket on, which will then cause it to briefly work at its warmest setting until the desired warmth level is reached. This lets you attend to your evening routine and come back to a warm bed.
What’s not to like about the SoftHeat Electric Blanket
The wires which go out of the blanket’s built-in power supply are flimsy and may break off if you tug onto them too vigorously. Luckily this will cause the blanket to stop working, preventing any further hazards. The power supply itself seems to emit its own radio frequencies which cause a disturbance in its immediate area. You’ll want to think twice about buying it if there’s a radio in your bedroom and you like to listen to it often.
3. Aqua Bed Warmer Non-electric Heater Blanket
Have you been pining for a way to efficiently heat your bed, but didn’t want to risk getting a blanket because of all those electrical wires? Now there’s an ingenious alternative with all of an electric blanket’s strengths and none of its shortcomings – the Aqua Bed Warmer, a mattress topper that noiselessly warms your bed as you peacefully sleep.
Think of the Aqua Bed Warmer as a giant extremely comfortable water bottle. It has a motor and pump which heat up water you pour into its reservoir and then circulate it evenly. Since the water‘s temperature can be finely adjusted with a set of controls, you get an evenly warm place to sleep every time. Electric blankets can develop “hot zones” or even partially stop working, but since there’s only one source of water which tends to give its heat off gradually, this is something you won’t need to worry about.The topper is filled with cotton and thickly padded. You won’t even feel the tubes even though they cover pretty much its entire insides. Controlling the water’s exact temperature is easy too – the controller features a thermostat which gives you precise temperature readings down to the degree as well as a timer you can set. An auto shutoff has been implemented as well.
- No electric wires, just water! Aqua Bed Warmer is the safest way to heat your bed!
- Safely heats your bed by circulating hot water through a soft mattress pad.
- Includes Water Heater and Mattress Pad (4 sizes available).
- Precise temperature and runtime control give you full control over your comfort.
- Noise-cancelling pump system ensures silent nighttime operation and peaceful sleep.
What’s to like about the Aqua Bed Warmer Non-electric Heater Blanket
Apart from the even heat, the best thing about this topper is how silent it is. You’d think that a device which constantly heats water and pumps it around would be uncomfortably loud, especially at night, but all you get to hear from the Aqua Bed Warmer is a soft noise once you turn the pump on, and that’s it.
What’s not to like about the Aqua Bed Warmer Non-electric Heater Blanket
For some reason, the company makes their pads a little bit smaller than the size of bed they’re meant for. It would be better if the pad covered the bed completely instead of being an inch or two too short. Other than that, the cable running from its controls could be longer. The control box itself is a bit bulky, but that wouldn’t have mattered if the cord was long enough so that you could place it down on the floor. As it stands, you’ll have to share your headspace with it.
4. Beautyrest Soft Sherpa Heated Blanket Wrap
Having an electric blanket to snuggle up inside at night is all well and good, but what about the rest of the day? How many times have you blown on your icy fingers while typing away at the computer, or had to constantly get up and walk to get warm while in a chilly room? With Beautyrest’s snazzy Sherpa throw personal warmth at any time anywhere in your home is convenient and wonderful.
Incorporating a robust heating system into this stylish Sherpa throw was an ingenious idea. Now you get to do things around the house with its long power cord being your only limitation. You can choose between plaid and lattice patterns on the outside made from microfiber polyester while the inner side is ivory-colored and made from micro Berber.These comfy materials conduct heat well, which is something you’ll notice as soon as you turn the throw on. It heats up in no time, and has three different heat levels to satisfy everyone, even people with circulatory problems. The medium setting will be ideal for most people, while the warm one does its name justice without making the throw itself too warm to the touch.
- NEAR ZERO EMF - Our electric blanket is engineered for lowest electromagnetic radiation possible. The heated element is designed and lay out in evenly space, which enables even warmth distribution. 100% UL certified for maxium safety. 12 Feet 6 Inches controller cord length with a 6 foot power cord length.
- THERAPEUTIC RELIEF - 3 Heat levels to find your comfort zone of your plush electric wrap throw. Pre-heating feature allows our electric wraps to be snuggly warm before crawling into the covers. Our unique design helps you relief and sooth the pains on your shoulders
- ELECTRIC BILL SAVINGS - Along with the plush softness, these heated throw help save money. Compared to electric throw blanket or portable heated blanket, the 2 hours auto-shutoff function can save you electric bill if you accidentally forget to turn if off and gurantee more safty. Compatible with smart home outlet and automatic timer.
- PERFECT SIZE - 64" x 50" with a split , which fits very well when using on the couch , or in your office. The Berber Sherpa fabric on the reverse side, which adds extra warmth and softness. The fabric is machine washable , just unplug the controller and toss in the washing machin.
- 5 Year Limited Warranty - That is 5 years of promise of savings and service including for our electric heated blanket and plush heated throw that is often used in home office and work office. Machine washable and can be used like a regular mattress pad.
What’s to like about the Beautyrest Soft Sherpa Heated Blanket Wrap
The Sherpa throw is great at keeping you warm without constraining your mobility. Since it has slits for your arms and wraps naturally around the head and shoulders, you can easily reach for things or use the remote/a mouse etc. without it pulling on your arms. The controller is large and easy to use, making the throw a perfect gift for elderly people.
What’s not to like about the Beautyrest Soft Sherpa Heated Blanket Wrap
You can’t machine-wash the throw. Well, you can, but only in a top-down loading model, alone, in lukewarm water. Any other setting will void the warranty, so washing by hand is needed, and you’ll need to be very careful not to stain it. The throw’s plug fits into outlets very tightly; it’ll take some elbow grease to pull it out, so someone who’s very frail might have a hard time doing so.
5. Sunbeam Faux Fur Heated Throw
The last blanket on review is a heated throw by Sunbeam, a US-based manufacturer that’s been in the business for over a century and knows how to blend unequalled softness with comforting warmth. A luxurious combination of thick soft “fur” and adjustable heat controls makes this the throw your blanket of choice for spending an enjoyable winter evening on the couch.
In spite of it relative lightness, the throw has been designed for use in chilly situations. The fur-like microfibers it is made from do an excellent job of trapping heat, and will probably be good enough for you to use the blanket without even turning it on if you’re feeling only slightly cold.Once you do turn it on however, the blanket quickly starts to warm up from within. It’s got a straightforward controller with a big power button and lights next to its 3 temperature settings, so you’ll never be uncertain whether it’s on or not and how much het it’s producing. As you might very well fall asleep while watching TV wrapped in it, the throw has a convenient auto-off safety feature that kicks in after three hours.
- Fabric:200 GSM per side (400 total), ultra-soft micro plush, 100% polyester
- Controller: Lighted control, 3 heat settings, 3-hr auto off, 3-hr auto off
- Controller May Vary
What’s to like about the Sunbeam Faux Fur Heated Throw
With this blanket, it’s all about the texture. Feeling warm is one thing, but doing so while wrapped inside its smooth silkiness feels heavenly. It’s also quite the power saver as you probably won’t be using its highest setting much. The throw is portable too if need be and once folded it doesn’t take up much space, so you can use it in your office or study on cold days and then tuck it away under the desk.
What’s not to like about the Sunbeam Faux Fur Heated Throw
Even though it’s very warm, the blanket’s wires stop a few inches from its edges. This isn’t a problem on its own, but as the throw also happens to be relatively small, a taller person will find it difficult to keep their toes warm without curling up. It’s also not the blanket with the thinnest wires around. This doesn’t matter much once you’ve settled in, but feeling them underneath the blanket might annoy some people.
Here’s a quick look at which parameters you should carefully consider before settling for any one electric blanket.
Electric blanket sizes conform to mattress sizes. The most common are twin-, full-, queen-, and king-sized. Some manufacturers also offer California king-sized blankets. You can find size charts online that give you their exact dimensions. While a blanket whose size corresponds to the mattress will do nicely, it’s also a smart idea to buy a size up so you have enough left over if one of you tends to hog it.
A blanket’s type depends on its intended use. The most common are electric over-blankets which cover you while sleeping. Under-blankets or mattress pads provide a warm surface to sleep on. Smaller and lighter blankets known as throws usually keep people warm while sitting in chairs or on the couch. Special throws with slits can also be worn like a wrap or poncho to maximize mobility.
The most common heating element in an electric blanket is a heating wire which is equally spaced inside the filling. These can be thick or thin, straight or coiled. Dual controller blankets can have two separate sets of wires, each with their own temperature and timer settings. Although less common, water-filled tubing can take the wires’ place, resulting in an arguably safer blanket less prone to forming hot and cold zones.
Quality electric blankets have well-placed wires which heat up the entire surface of the blanket equally and quickly. Bigger models often have the option of heating only one half as well. Depending on the manufacturer, a few inches on the outside of the blanket can be left unheated for safety reasons. A common sign of the blanket malfunctioning is when it either heats up one area more than others, or stops to deliver heat to an area altogether. If this happens, immediately consult the manufacturer.
Just heating the blanket up isn’t enough. You’ll want to be able to precisely control the temperature and therefore need an adjustable thermostat with three increments or more. Timers and individualized controls for each sides of bigger blankets are welcome features to have. Finally, the blanket must be able to shut itself off automatically after a while.
Electric blankets don’t use up a lot of power, and even more can be saved if you turn them down. Their maximum wattage depends on the type of blanket and its size. Blankets that don’t convert standard 110V current to 25V DC use up a little less power, about 40-100 watts per hour. Low-voltage models use 80-180 watts per hour, but since this too comes to a few cents per night, the difference is negligible.
How do you remove the control box from electric blanket?
When you want to give the blanket a wash, it’s imperative to remove all of its electrical components. Consulting the individual blanket’s manual is the safest option, but usually the control box can be disconnected by simply pulling it out of the plug that connects it to the blanket’s internal wires.If for some reason you want to remove it altogether and turn the electric blanket into a regular one, you can cut the wire that connects the control box off and pull the resistive wires out gradually until none are left. After that you can sew any leftover openings shut and have a fully functional, if regular blanket.
Can I leave my electric blanket on all night?
Yes. safety codes require blanket manufacturers to equip their products with either a timer you can use yourself or an automatic shutoff function. The latter usually turns the blanket off after 8 or 10 hours. Throws will shut themselves off even sooner.
How do electric blankets work?
The secret to an electric blanket’s workings lies in its resistive wiring. All electric blankets are filled with a winding length of such wiring which is connected to a power cord that plugs into an outlet and then either delivers the standard voltage or lowers it and converts the input to direct current.The electricity coursing through the wires causes them to heat up without being harmful to you or the blanket itself. As the wires are encased in polyester or other materials that trap heat well, electric blankets are doubly effective and useful even when not powered on.
Do electric blankets cause cancer?
Research into electric blankets’ carcinogenic properties has been done as early as the 1960s, and no conclusive proof of their involvement in a heightened cancer risk has ever been produced. Emission of electromagnetic fields has been the chief concern in linking electric blankets to cancer, but regulations set up in the 1990s as well as technological advancements have drastically diminished their strength.
How do you put an electric blanket on a bed?
This depends on the blanket’s wire thickness and your personal preference. Some people put a thin sheet under the blanket, others place the blanket over their duvet for extra warmth. If you don’t mind the wires or they’re particularly thin, the blanket can also be placed on top of the mattress and covered with a sheet.
The Shavel Thermee is our choice for best electric blanket, but the Aqua Bed warmer is breathing down its neck as it is a worthy alternative to conventional wired electric blankets.
If you’d like to remain mobile while simultaneously enjoying all that a quality electric blanket offers, you can’t go wrong with choosing a Sherpa throw from Beautyrest up. It’s also worth noting that while the winners are clear, you won’t be missing out if you chose any of the others instead.