7 Best Futons – Affordable, Space Saving, and Versatile
- How To Choose A Futon Mattress – Guide & Frequent Question - August 20, 2021
- How Big Is A Futon Mattress? - August 19, 2021
- 7 Best Futons – Affordable, Space Saving, and Versatile - August 18, 2021
Futons are originated in the Japanese culture, and more people tend to get interested in them every year. Plus, they can be extremely versatile since they are made to be used according to your needs. If you are looking for the best futon, you might feel overwhelmed by the number of options available on the market.
However, this guide should help you choose the best product for your needs. You will also learn what to look for when you are shopping for a high-quality futon! So, let’s dive into the details of this great furniture piece that you can use to increase your comfort.
The Case for the Futon
Futons broke out of the Japanese culture after 1980, and they reached the rest of the world. They were received very well by the general public thanks to a variety of benefits.
William Brouwer is the one that noticed the advantages of this type of bed, and he decided to bring it into the view of global consumers. It was fairly a sparkling idea that chair or sofa by day and bed by night. But if you never used a futon, you might wonder about these benefits so let’s go over them!
These beds tend to come at a better price compared to other types of beds. And the reason for that is the low cost of the materials used to create them. Futons are made of cotton, different types of foam or polyester. And the bed frame itself is nothing fancy.
Saving space in your house might be a powerful reason that will convince you to invest in a futon bed. This might be a great idea to use in your guest room since you can use the futon as a chair or a sofa during the day and convert it into a comfortable bed for the night,
A great aspect about futon beds is that you can change the way it looks as often as you want. Add a new cover, shape it differently or even switch the frame. Everything is affordable and easy to do so you will have no problem adding a new touch to your room by changing the way your futon looks for a day or a week or as much as you want to.
You might not be convinced about the quality of these beds, but that is just because the market doesn’t do them justice many times. It is very important to get a high-quality futon to enjoy all its benefits. These beds were designed to be used directly on the floor, just like the Japanese do which is why it took a while to improve the system of a futon bed placed on a metal or wood frame.
Benefits of a Futon
When it comes to the benefits of a futon, some might surprise you while others might not. But the truth of the matter is that these beds can change your life for the better. Here are the main benefits that you want to consider when you invest in a futon and what to expect from it.
This aspect involves primarily cleaning your futon, which luckily for you, is an easy task. If you invest in a high-quality futon, you can expect it to be made of 100 percent cotton.
This makes both the cover and the mattress very easy to wash in the washing machine. They will dry out fast as well, and you can forget all about those unpleasant spots that might damage the way your futon looks like.
Besides all the aesthetic, space saving and financial advantages, a futon is ultimately a bed so it should positively change the quality of your sleep for the better. When you sleep on a futon, you will enjoy comfort and a very healthy type of rest.
This makes a futon so much more worth it, and you will be happy to wake up well rested and relaxed after every nap or night sleep. And if you had back problems, the best futon might make you forget all about them.
Unlike any other type of bed, a futon can be moved easily everywhere you want to have it. You can fold the mattress and box up the frame just as you need to and you will not have to struggle with it every time you relocate.
Not to mention that inside your house you can move it from one room to another as your needs ask for it. These beds are not heavy at all, and they are easy and convenient to carry which makes them even more popular.
You can use them when you are traveling or you can keep them in your home as you please. These beds do a great job as a daily bed as well as for occasional vacations.
How to Choose a Comfortable Futon
Choosing the best futon for you might be different than making the same choice for someone else. There are many types of futons and just as many aspects that you need to consider before investing in one of these beds.
If you never bought a futon bed, you might not know what to pay attention to before pulling your credit card out. Here are the main features that you need to take into consideration!
Choose the Type of Futon That You Want
There are traditional futons which are just the way Japanese people created them, or modern futons which were modified along the years to meet the needs of more types of clients.
You will notice that the traditional futon is a mattress made out of cotton alone. This is a great choice if you want to use it for a daily sleep schedule and it will last you plenty of time.
The modern futons can be converted in chairs or sofa as you please and they come with a frame. The frame can typically be made of wood or metal. Even if you have a wide variety of modern futons to choose from, you should keep an eye on those made of wood as they tend to be sturdier than the rest.
The Weight of Your Futon
You should always consider the capacity of your futon to hold a certain weight. This might differ greatly from one model to another. If you place a too heavy weight on your futon bed, you might destroy the frame, especially if you choose one with a wooden frame.
But the extra weight will also take a toll on the quality of the mattress. Over time, if you place too much weight on your futon, you will notice that the mattress can break apart in a way that will not be easy to repair.
Space Is Also an Essential Aspect
The size of your futon will make a big difference when it comes to the space it takes. You can find all the sizes you might be interested in, on the market; from a single to a double to bigger sizes like queen size.
While the twin size might be just what you need, most people prefer queen sizes simply because they are more functional and useful. Plus, you never know when you need that extra space available for a surprise guest.
Best Futons on the Market and Why You Should Consider Investing In Them
Now that you know what to look for in a futon, it is important to stay informed when it comes to the best ones that you can find. Here are the most appreciated futons on the market and what they have to offer you!
Best Futon: The Reviews
#1. DHP Emily Futon Couch Bed
+ Material: Chrome, linen
+ Dimensions: 45 x 36 x 13
+ Weight: 72.5 lbs
+ Firmness: Extra firm
This DHP Emily futon might be the best futon thanks to many features that it comes with. The modern and elegant design of this product will steal your heart. It can be used as a couch or a bed by simply changing its position which is fairly easy to do.
It is very resistant as the frame is made of chrome and among the materials, you will find grey linen. The sitting dimensions are 71.5 inches W with 35 inches D and 32 inches H. The dimensions reached in the sleeping position are 71.5 inches W with 39 inches D and 14.5 inches H.
Also, it is important to note that the maximum weight supported by this futon is 600 lbs so don’t try to overload it more than you have to. You can incorporate it successfully in any room of your house and even in your working space. It is great to welcome guests overnight or use it as a nice sofa in a waiting room.
This is a classic piece that can add some comfort to your home and make you feel more relaxed whenever you need a break. And for all these reasons, this can be one of the best products.
- It can be used as a sofa or bed by switching its position
- Easy to clean
- Resistant chrome frame
- The elegant and simplistic design
- Convenient price range
- The sofa has no side arms
- It might be too firm for some preferences
- Modern low profile design futon frame with chrome metal legs and square tufted backrest and seating
- Multi-functional sofa ideal for small living spaces: Split back design provides multiple positions including lounging and sleeping for top comfort
- Available in faux leather, linen and velvet in a variety of colors. Pair with the matching chair, chaise lounger and/or ottoman for a sectional look and extra seating/sleeping space (all sold separately)
- Ships in one box and assembles quickly.Futon dimensions: 71”L x 34”W x 32”H. Sleeping dimensions: 71"L x 43"W x 16”H. Weight limit: 600 lb.
- Note : To ensure proper assembly, please follow all steps provided in the installation manual (provided in pdf below)
#2. Divano Roma Furniture Collection Futon
+ Material: Linen fabric, hypoallergenic filling
+ Dimensions: 77 x 31 x 31 inches
+ Weight:150 lbs
+ Firmness: Medium
This is one of those futons that make for complete furniture pieces. You can use it as a cozy couch to relax on, and you can also use it as a twin bed for two thin people or children. However, when it comes to people with a little more weight on them, this might be perfect for just one adult.
You can use this futon at home, in your guest room or even at your office as it comes in a very modern and pleasant design. It is very comfortable thanks to its fluffiness which makes it a perfect furniture piece to relax on.
As far as specifications go, this futon is made of an interesting frame which is a combination of wood and metal. As a matter of fact, the legs are metal while the rest of the frame is a high-quality wood material.
In the middle of the frame, there is also a bar made of metal that might create some discomfort for some users. However, others might not be bothered by it at all. You will find this futon easy to set up and switch from a couch to a bed just as you please.
- You can choose from a wide variety of colors, even if the light purple shade tends to be the most attractive one
- It comes with everything you need to start using it right out of the box
- You can use it as a couch or as a bed, according to your needs
- It is a low profile type of bed or couch which makes it perfect for pets and children
- It comes at an efficient cost
- It might be difficult to clean
- It might not be wide enough for two adults
- Modern split-back sleeper futon in fun colors - perfect for a bonus room, office or apartment to give your space a pop of color
- Plush comfortable tufted linen fabric upholstery with hypoallergenic fill for maximum comfort
- Split back feature to accommodate personal preference - Split-back can accommodate two lounge positions at once: one half can recline into a flat position while the other remains up.
- Dimensions-76 W x 32 D x 32 H inches, Flat Position: 70" x 40" inches, Seat Cushion: 70"W x 19"D, Seat Height: 18" inches
#3. Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon – Navy Linen
+ Material: Linen fabric, polyester, foam, wood
+ Dimensions: 34.5 x 81.5 x 31.5 inches
+ Weight:95 lbs
+ Firmness: Firm
Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon is also a great product you can find on the market. You can purchase it in several colors and attractive shades such as dark gray, navy, gray, green, light blue, light gray, pink and even a mustard shade. It is easy to clean and maintain which is why you might use this futon for many years to come.
As far as the materials go, this futon has a wooden frame made of a durable oak. It also has a filling made of polyester and foam which makes it very comfortable as both a bed and a couch. You can use it as a bed and a fancy and comfortable couch as well.
It is perfect to place at home in any room you might find suitable or at your workplace as it can be very elegant looking too. The sleeper dimensions of this bed are 70.5L, 43.5W, and 16H. Also, like a futon, the dimensions change to 81.5 inch L, 34.5 inches W and 31.5 inch H.
Overall, this is a very stable futon that can be a great addition to your home or office and it can ease your life in the long run.
- It can be used as both a bed and a couch
- Made of comfortable materials
- Resistant wooden frame
- It comes in different colors
- Easy to fold and move as you please
- The frame might be easy to feel through the mattress
- Stylish linen upholstery wipes clean easily
- Ribbed tufted cushioned back with slanted oak coloured wooden legs
- Sturdy wood frame construction that is stable and durable
- Comfortable polyester and foam filling. Sleeper dimensions(inches): 70.5L x 43.5W x 16H
- Futon Dimensions: 81.5"L x 34.5"W x 31.5"H
#4. Best Futon Lounger
+ Material: Cotton, polyurethane, metal, wood
+ Dimensions: 72 x 33 x 31 inches
+ Weight: 70 lbs
+ Firmness: Firm
If you are looking for the best futon lounger, you most likely found it in this high-quality product. This futon looks so comfortable that you will want to have it as soon as you lay your eyes on it.
You can choose it in different colors, one more unique than the other. Among these colors, there are aqua linen, BlueWave, a bubbles design, Lahaina, a reconstruction design, a tropical Bali one, and many others.
You can set it in three different positions such as sit, sleep or simply lounge. You will get everything you need to use this futon in all these positions, right with your order.
The filling of the mattress is a combination of 80 percent cotton and 20 percent polyurethane. However, keep in mind that this is not a waterproof material. As far as the frame goes, this is made of a highly resistant combination of wood and metal. You should be able to use this futon as you please for many years to come.
- It can go in a sit, lounge or sleep position
- Made of comfortable filling
- Easy to move and switch from one position to another
- It comes in original colors
- Long lifespan
- It might be too small for some preferences
- 3 POSITIONS -Sit, Lounge, or Sleep. Perfect for a College Dorm or Apartment. The set includes 5"-6" mattress, two (2) pillows and the metal powder coated black frame. Wood slats support the mattress.
- DIMENSIONS: MATTRESS: 79" x 32" x 5-6" - SIT DIMENSIONS: 66" x 33" x 31" - LOUNGE DIMENSIONS: 72" x 33" x 31" - The mattress may take a few days to decompress after shipping. It will reach an overall height of 5" to 6". The mattress is manufactured in MN using the same tried and true process for over 6 years.
- FROM THE FLOOR DIMENSIONS: Frame height is 10" without mattress - 15"-16" with mattress
- MATTRESS AND PILLOW FABRIC: 100% Polyester Blend and mattress fill is 80% Blended Cotton and 20% Polyurethane Foam. CARE: Spot clean. NOT WATERPROOF
- ORDER NOW - So many fabric choices to enhance any room in your home. PLEASE NOTE: Our photos are taken at the highest resolution in order to highlight the color/pattern. One Key Kitty key chain will be sent with your lounger order.
#5. Rolling Bed DDFR33080 Traditional Japanese Floor Futon
+ Material: Polyester, cotton, foam
+ Dimensions: 80 x 30 x 3 inches
+ Weight: 14 lbs
+ Firmness: Firm
This is a futon that can satisfy most of your needs and it follows the traditional Japanese requirements expected from such a product. It is made in the USA and has a combination of different materials in its filling.
The comfort of this mattress is given by the cotton material found inside of it, in combination with high-quality foam and a layer of polyester fiber. It is safe to use as this futon is created to be flame retardant according to the safety laws present.
Once you receive the box containing the mattress you should take it out and stretch it firmly from its both ends. This will help the mattress gain its original dimensions and provide you with the comfort that you need.
It doesn’t have a frame as it is intended to be used directly on the floor. You will be able to fold it easily and move it anywhere you want without much struggle. This is perfect for receiving guests but also to take with you as you travel.
If you are planning to use this mattress as a bed on a daily basis, it is recommended to fold it up often so that it will remain as firm as you want it to be.
- Made of good quality material
- Easy to carry with you if needed
- It doesn’t need a frame
- Convenient price
- Long lifespan
- It might not provide enough cushions for some users
- Brand new floor futon mattress, made in USA. Fabric material: 100% polyester. The cover is not allowed to be removed for washing.
- Color Black. Single bed size 3" thick x 30" wide x 80" long. Approx weight of 13 pounds.
- Mattress filled with 90% white cotton batting, 5% polyester fiber batting and resilient foam.
- Cleaning instructions: We always recommend using any mattress cover sheet to put all over the mattress for protecting, spot cleaned only, then airing under the sunny day, or putting closed to the opened windows for airing and drying.
- Meets flame retardant requirements by laws. We ship the mattress in a smaller shipping box to lower the shipping rate. After opening the package, mattress is corrugated, the size is maybe slightly shorter in width and length. Original size will be regained after stretching and pulling out 2 ends longer.
#6. DHP Zoe Convertible Futon, Gray
+ Material: Linen fabric, steel, wood
+ Dimensions: 69 x 32.5 x 29 inches
+ Weight: 59.5 lbs
+ Firmness: Extra firm
This futon works great for someone who likes simple designs that also have their elegant aspects. The gray color and simple design make this futon great for any environment. The stability of this futon is granted by the strong wood frame and the legs that are made of steel.
This is a futon that can be used a couch, in a sitting position, lounging one or sleeping position. With such an increased versatility there is no wonder that this is one of the best futons on the market.
It can support up to 600 lbs but the weight should b evenly placed on it for maximum safety. Even if it doesn’t come with side arms, this can be a very comfortable couch just like it is a very comfortable bed. When it comes to the size, this is bigger than a twin bed but small than a full size.
With dimension such as 69×32.5×29 inches, this might not be a size that accommodates everyone. The materials used are linen, steel, and wood and you can expect this futon to be firmer than other similar products. Some customers might like this while for others it might be a downfall, but it all comes down to personal preferences.
- It can go in three different positions
- The weight limit is 600 lbs
- The entire product is not heavier than 59.5 lbs
- It comes at a budget-friendly price
- Easy to clean and maintain
- It doesn’t have arms
- The material might be too firm
- Stainless steel chrome legs for ultimate stability / Upholstered in a grey linen fabric
- Perfect for sitting, lounging or sleeping / Solid wood frame construction
- Sleeper dimensions: 69"W x 38"D x 14.5"H / Zoe futon model # 2028429
- Carton dimensions: 69"L x 39"W x 6.5"H / Simple assembly required
- Dimensions: 69"L x 32-1/2"W x 29"H / Weight limit: 600 lbs
#7. Royal Sleep Products Memory Foam Futon
+ Material: Cotton, polyurethane, memory foam
+ Dimensions: 35 x 27 x 12
+ Weight: 70 lbs
+ Firmness: Firm
This beautiful futon that comes in a special Cancun Maple shade can be appropriate for your needs thanks to a wide variety of reasons. You can purchase it in a full or queen size and place it anywhere you want in your home to increase your comfort or welcome guests.
From the main aspects of the smallest details, this futon is made of high-quality materials. This is made of four layers of cotton, two layers of memory foam and one of polyurethane. The full size is 8 inch in height, 75 inches in width and 54 inches deep. The queen size is 80 inches wide, and 60 inches deep as the width remains similar.
As comfortable as this futon is, you have to note that it doesn’t come with a frame. If you already have a frame, this might be just what you need to complete your bed. However, if you don’t have a frame, you will need to purchase one separately.
You can use this futon as a bed or a couch and even get creative with it. However, it works best straight on the floor, just like the original concept of futon intended them to be used.
- It has very good quality filling materials
- Made to resist over time
- Easy to set up and comfortable to use
- Beautiful color
- Two sizes to choose from
- It doesn’t come with the frame
- Type: Mattress
- Material: Cotton, Polyester Blend, Foam
- Style: Contemporary
Concluding Words on the Best Futon
As many high-quality futons as you may be able to find on the market, from which the best ones were listed above, there is still one that meets all the standards. This is the DHP Emily Futon Couch. This is the best futon because it offers you all you might need in such a product. It has a strong set of chrome legs for stability. The memory foam used as filling increases its comfort in both sitting and sleeping positions.
It will support a limit of 600 lbs of weight. It comes at an affordable price, and it will not take much space in your home at all. Unlike other products, this futon is highly versatile, and it doesn’t contain synthetic materials inside the mattress. This makes it look like new for a longer time. The DHP Emily Futon Couch is a valuable investment for your house or even your workplace, thanks to its simple and sleek design.