Best Mattress Protector For Allergies of 2018 – Complete Reviews With Comparison
Let’s face it. When you have allergies, it can seem like every single thing in your house could be the source of your discomfort and suffering. Is it the couch? Or the pillows? Finding the source of your distress can seem impossible.
But have you ever considered that it might be the bed you’re laying on each night aggravating your allergy symptoms? It’s true! Mattresses can be a huge source of allergies, particularly of dust mite allergies.
Thankfully, the best mattress protectors can keep you safe from this distress. Let’s take a look at the top 5 options on the market today.
Top 5 Best Mattress Protector For Allergies Comparison Chart
Best Mattress Protector For Allergies Reviews
1. LUCID Premium Hypoallergenic Mattress Protector
This mattress protector is most well known for how waterproof it is, but it also does a fantastic job of preventing the buildup of common allergens.
Many people who suffer from dust-related allergies have found that this protector does a great job of keeping symptoms from flaring up. Thanks to the style of protective layers and the tight fit, dust does not build up or get released. With regular washing, you’ll be clean and allergy-free in bed at night.
The idea is that the protector keeps dust from getting into the mattress (which can, in turn, lead to dust mite allergies), but it additionally keeps dust that is already built up in the mattress from coming out. Regardless of where on this scale you fall, you’ll rest easier.
One drawback of this particular protector is the polyurethane backing. This backing can be very noisy depending on the type of mattress. Using a fitted sheet on top of the mattress protector can help to dampen and prevent noise.
Still, this backing is why the mattress protector does such a great job of keeping any liquids out. Any spills or accidents will puddle up rather than absorb into or through the protector, making it great for mattress protection in that sense as well.
- 100% Waterproof - repels all liquids including bodily fluids, perspiration, urine and accidental spills - machine washable protection
- Noiseless and comfortable hypoallergenic cotton terry surface and polyurethane backing inhibits allergy-causing dust mites and bacteria from living in your mattress - safe for children and pets
- Fully-elasticized fitted sheet style with deep pockets designed to fit mattresses up to 22 inches deep
- Ultra-Thin design is breathable, quiet and sleeps cool without changing the feel of your mattress
- Queen size protector measures 60 x 80; 15-year
2. Evolon Allergy Mattress Protector
Unlike other mattress protectors that offer allergy prevention in addition to mattress protection, this one from Evolon was created with allergies first in mind.
The design of this mattress protector encases the entire mattress which can help prevent the buildup of everything from dust mites to dander to other allergens. If you’re an allergy sufferer who believes your bed is a big part of the issue, using an allergy-focused mattress protector like this one may show a considerable difference in how you sleep.
This product is fairly easy to put on your bed. The zipper is on the top, so you will have to slide it over the mattress, but the smaller zipper area leaves less risk of a tear along the zipper which can happen in encased protectors with a zipper that goes the whole way around the mattress.
One drawback is that this particular protector doesn’t come in many different sizes, which can cause them to be very loose on some mattresses. While this isn’t an issue in terms of protection, it is an issue in terms of comfort and can be annoying.
Finally, this product may be a bit stiff when received, but it can easily be softened with a few quick washes that will break down the fibers enough to still be effective while becoming more comfortable.
- Made in USA. The award winning German engineered Evolon offers 1 micron filtration using a microfilament technology, creating a physical barrier against allergens.
- EVOLON is made using an ECO-friendly process and because of its large internal surface area, it can absorb 400% of its weight in water and dries very quickly.
- This breathable fabric is not coated, and it has no pvcs and no chemical post treatments, so it is totally breathable. The fabric is rustle-free, comfortable, and has no "plastic" feeling.
- Sleep Safe Zip Cover Evolution mattress encasement provides total bedbug, dust mite, dander, and allergen protection making it ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Totally machine washable even with non-chlorine bleach and wash tested at 500x for durability. Wash prior to use for ultimate softness as the EVOLON fabric naturally softens with each washing.
3. Allersoft Bed Bug, Dust Mite & Allergy Control Mattress Protector
Another option that focuses on bugs and allergies is the Allersoft Mattress Protector, another affordable yet quality option on the top list.
While many allergy-focused mattress protectors are limited in the size selection available to customers, this protector does not have that problem. You can find various mattress sizes to choose from, and even can choose the correct depth so that the protector will hug your mattress as it should. This will help the fit be even more comfortable while sleeping.
In terms of protection, this is a fully encased protector that will keep bed bugs, dust, and more away from you. The tightly woven fabric keeps everything locked inside while remaining cool and breathable for you. Fighting off allergens shouldn’t make you uncomfortable, and it does not with this particular mattress protector.
One big drawback of this type of protector is the durability. While it works well, the tight fit causes the zipper and seams to gradually separate, which defeats the purpose. Plan to replace this sooner, rather than later, if you plan to have full mattress protection in your future. There is a 90-day warranty.
- QUALITY ASSURED, MADE IN THE USA | Unlike other products made in China and India, each Allersoft mattress protector is quality checked, lab tested, and made in the USA so you can sleep easy knowing you're sleeping on the best
- FULLY-ZIPPED PROTECTION |Many mattress protectors only offer partial coverage with 5-sided designs. Allersoft ensures full coverage with a fully zipped enclosure and autolocking zipper so you can rest easy knowing you're protected from harmful bed bugs, dust mites and allergens on all sides
- 100% BREATHABLE COTTON | Our mattress protectors are woven super-tight for ultimate protection and comfort. Other mattress protectors use polyester fibers which can collect allergens and feel stiff. Our all cotton covers feel smooth and blend well with your mattress for exceptional comfort
- COMFORT, MEET PROTECTION | Allersoft offers an allergen barrier with a pore size of 3.44 microns, ensuring that dust mites and allergens will not get through. With 100% cotton and a 300-thread count, this dust mite and allergy control mattress protector guarantees comfort and protection
- LIFETIME WARRANTY | Rest easy with our lifetime warranty on all mattress protectors. While other mattress covers sold in stores offer only 90 days of warranty, we guarantee lifetime protection. Each product contains easy instructions on how replacements can be requested in the event of an issue
4. AllerEase Maximum Allergy and Bedbug Mattress Protector
Another interesting choice among allergy mattress protectors, this one does its fair share to make sure that bed bugs cannot penetrate your bed in addition to allergens.
This mattress protector is available in four different sizes, and each can fit up to a 17” deep mattress. While this means that the protector might be loose on some thinner mattresses, it will slide onto most average sized mattresses very easily, making it a smart choice.
Once you zip it up, you’ll find that this mattress protector is also outfitted with a velcro flap that closes over the zipper to ensure that no bugs or allergens can squeeze through the zipper area. This makes for a tighter seal which will only help to save you from allergy symptoms even more effectively.
One potential problem that some people may have with this type of mattress protector is the necessary cleaning technique. If you just toss it in the washer and dryer, the plastic coating may actually fuse to itself, creating holes in the protector. Care instructions must be followed very carefully to avoid that issue.
Still, this mattress protector stands out for the fact that it is also not very noisy! Many protectors are, but this one will hide the sounds of your tossing and turning very well.
- COMPLETE ALLERGEN PROTECTION: If you wake up congested, it could be allergens in your bedding. Our mattress protectors offer complete barrier protection, blocking dust mites, pet dander, bed bugs and other common household allergens.
- TEMPERATURE BALANCING TECHNOLOGY: You'll never wake up sweating or freezing with these mattress protectors! The temperature balancing technology adjusts continuously to your body temperature so you are always cool and comfortable.
- EXTEND MATTRESS LIFE: Fully encasing your mattress with a durable and comfortable zippered protector not only protects against household allergens, it extends the life of your mattress by preventing the growth of smelly bacteria and keeping it fresh and clean.
- EASY INSTALLATION, REMOVAL & LAUNDERING: The zippered closure offers the waterproof protection you need while making it easy to take on and off your mattress so you can machine wash and tumble dry low.
- LEADING BRAND OF ALLERGEN BARRIER BEDDING: All AllerEase products provide natural allergy relief, are allergist recommended, and have a 10-year limited warranty. Customer satisfaction is important to us.
5. Mibio Mattress Protector Queen & Allergen Mattress Cover Allergy Pads
Our final selection is known for its ability to fight or block dust mites, mildew, mold, bacteria, and more from causing you problems.
This mattress protector is great for keeping dust in and liquid out. The surface is very water repellant, and it is this way without the use of many dangerous chemicals that are found in other waterproof mattress protectors. Fewer added things means the protector is less likely to cause issues for those with skin sensitivities.
One point that may be a positive or a negative, depending on your particular preferences, is that these pads are made to be used as part of a larger protection system. Ideally, these encasements would go around your mattress then another fitted sheet would go on top. The pillows and box spring each have their own cover, too.
If you are okay with using this entire protection system, you’ll find that allergy issues revolving around your mattress will be a thing of the past for many years to come. If you want to keep it simple with just a mattress protector, this might not be the right choice for you.
- 100% Waterproof Mattress Protection Cover- Six-sided premium mattress protector blocks perspiration, bed wetting, liquids and stains; 10-year quality guarantee (NOTE: For frequent accidents and easy clean-ups, place a fitted Mibio Mattress Protector over the encasement).
- Super fine zipper with MibioSeal technology completely seals off the mattress - use with a Mibio Box Spring Encasement
- Hypoallergenic - Blocks dust mites, allergens, bacteria, mildew and mold - use with Mibio Pillow Protectors
- Soft & Noiseless - 100% cotton polyester top; Wicks away moisture; Retains the feel of your mattress - Free from Vinyl, PVC, Phthalates, fire retardants and other toxic chemicals. Great For Those With Kids, Pets, Allergies, Asthma, Or Eczema
- Queen (60 in x 80 in) - Fits 9 to 12 inches deep; Zippered Mattress Encasement - Machine wash and dry. Will Not Change The Feel of Your Mattress
Among these top mattress protectors, the LUCID Premium Hypoallergenic Mattress Protector stands out as the most effective and reliable of all the top options this year. You can expect it to prevent allergens from causing problems while still being comfortable.
If you want something to use as part of a more thorough protection regime, the Mibio Mattress Protector Queen & Allergen Mattress Cover Allergy Pads and accompanying products are a great option for a different type of protection.